The Gates Public Library is seeking applicants for the position of Bookkeeper. This is a full-time position and a provisional permanent appointment.
Job Summary: Senior Library Clerk/Bookkeeper position maintaining financial records and bookkeeping, with scheduled circulation desk duties
Job Responsibilities: Submit invoices for payment, balance public and private accounts and provide monthly and yearly reports to staff and Library Board.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Accountable for library’s $2.5 million budget which includes recordkeeping, processing monthly account receivables and payables
- Maintain monthly financial reports and develop spreadsheets as needed
- Account for daily money receipts and record each type of revenue
- Manage and organize library donations, gifts and grants accounts
- Compile statistical reports
- Oversees petty cash fund
- Assist in biweekly payroll process
- Keeps ledger for Library budget and assist Library Director with yearly budget figures
- Other duties as required
- Ability to grasp CARL Circulation System; supports Circulation Services performing routine Clerical functions when needed.
- Experience using QuickBooks, maintaining ledgers and running reports
- Strong aptitude for accuracy and attention to details, problem solving skills and mathematics
- Strong skillset for accounting, Office Excel, Internet navigation, and file management
- Good interpersonal skills with coworkers, vendor representatives and the public
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Adheres to policies and procedures relating to all aspects of library functions and union contracts.
- Strong commitment to public service, including a positive public service attitude
- Dependable, showing initiative and resourcefulness
- Ability to work as a team with other staff, including clear and constructive communication
- Sense of humor always appreciated!
- Ability to communicate, in person and on the telephone
- Physical demands commensurate to job description- using computer keyboard/mouse, manipulate library materials.
Hours and Benefits: 37.5 hours per work week, including one evening per week. Occasional Saturday rotation on Circulation Desk. Annual benefits include 15 days of vacation, 12 days sick leave, 13 holidays, 2 personal days and $600 HRA. Health insurance is Excellus Signature 80% employer paid. Eligibility for NYS Retirement Tier 6.
Salary: Starting salary is $20.50 per hour.
Library Environment: A friendly, hard-working staff with supportive Library and Town Boards and an active Friends Group. A welcoming community with a robust, well circulating collections.
Eligible Candidates: Anyone who currently has a permanent appointment from a Civil Service list as full-time competitive Senior Library Clerk OR
Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with an Associate’s degree; preferably in Bookkeeping or other related financial field.
Supervisory Authority: Reports to Library Director.
Instructions to Applicants
Eligible candidates who meet the qualifications outlined should submit a letter of interest, resume and contact information of three professional references to Jennifer.Erler-Perry@libraryweb.org by August 14th.
Statement of Non-Discrimination: Gates Public Library welcomes job applications from qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, ancestry, family care status, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender orientation or any other lawfully protected status. The Library complies with all federal and state regulations dealing with employment practices.
Posted on July 29, 2023Back to News