- Lucky Us by Amy Bloom
- Painted Horses by Macolm Brooks
- Love Letters by Debbie Macomber
- In the Kingdom of Ice by Hampton Sides
- The Choir Director 2 by Carl Weber
We are excited to announce that this fall we will be launching a new series of free library programs called "Lifelong Learners" targeted to today's active and inquisitive seniors.
- The series will kickoff on September 18th with Antiques Appraisal Roadshow, where antiques expert H. Price Prazar will offer a verbal appraisal of your special family heirloom or treasures. Mr. Prazar has done appraisals since 1984 and has worked with WXXI on their Antique Road Show program.
- On Thursday, October 16th and Thursday, October 23rd we are offering a two part class on Self-Defense for Seniors and Home Safety for Seniors. Both classes will be lead by martial arts expert Matt Dorsey. He will instruct attendees in the basics of personal self-defense adapted to the specific needs of the senior population. At the second class he will provide techniques for securing your home from break ins and burglaries.
- Just in time for Thanksgiving, we will be hosting a Family Recipe Potluck on Saturday, November 15th! Come with your appetite and a dish to pass from your family's cookbook, and leave with some new ideas for you next Thanksgiving dinner.
- Save time this Christmas season and help raise money for the Gates Public Library by having your holiday gifts wrapped by one of our volunteers on Saturday, December 13th.
- Get in on that popular trend of Scrapbooking on Thursday, January 15th. Jen Jacob will lead a class on how to preserve your photographs and keepsakes in a stylish scrapbook. We will provide all materials. You provide the photographs.
- Just in time for Valentine's Day! Thursday, February 12th learn the basics of Flower Arranging from a professional florist and make a bouquet that is as unique as you are.
Register online or by calling (585) 247-6446.
There is still time to register for the 18th annual Gates Chili Chamber of Commerce golf tournament and dinner auction. Proceeds will be split between the Friends of the Gates Public Library and the Friends of the Chili Public Library, and will help support library services and events that we might otherwise not be able to offer.
The event will be held on August 4th, 2014 at the Brook Lea Country Club. Range practice and breakfast will begin at 9:30 am, golfing begins at noon, and the dinner auction begins at 6:00 pm.
A single golf package is $175 and includes lunch, 18 holes of golf, a cart, access to the range, and dinner. Foursome packages are available for $600 and also include 18 holes of golf, a cart, access to the range, and dinner. If you only wish to attend the dinner auction you may do so for $40. Register online at the Gates Chili Chamber of Commerce website.
The dinner auction will be hosted by WBEE's Steve Hausmann, and auction items include a futon of your choosing from Sleep City, autographed sports memorabilia, and gift baskets with gift certificates to some of Rochester's most popular restaurants and entertainment venues.
Our summer reading programs for children, teens, and adults are in full swing. The themes this year all relate to science. Please stop by our checkout desk to register. Also, be sure to check out our summer library program schedule. We have added additional programs for people of all ages to accommodate increased demand.
Children's Summer Reading
The theme for the children's summer reading program is "Fizz, Boom, Read!" Children who participate will receive a prize each week. We have several science related programs for children including Food Science, Making Glow in the Dark Slime, a Science of Snow Storytime, and Science is a Blast! with the Wondermakers.
Teen & Tween Summer Reading
The theme for this summer's teen and tween reading program is "Spark a Reaction." Teen and tweens are encouraged to read books of their choosing and will be entered into a weekly raffle drawing with multiple prize winners. Teens and tweens can enjoy the science related library programs Tween Craft: Tissue Paper Turtle and Slime Creations.
Adult Summer Reading
Adult are encouraged to read science related books from our science book list, but are welcome to read any books of their choosing. Participants will be entered into a weekly drawing for prizes. There will be multiple winners selected each week. Adults can enjoy the science related programs Three Dimensional Bookbinding and Beer Making.
We've added new programming to help you start a new hobby, learn some skills and get help planning life events. They are all offered on the weekend, at 2:00 pm. Registration is requested for each program. Click here for more information and to sign up.
Sunday, June 22 - Easy Meals for Busy People
- Wegmans staff will prepare fast easy and yummy dishes.
Sunday, July 27 - Beer Making
- A local brewery will teach techniques of beer making.
Sunday, August 24 - First Time Home Buying
- Meet a realtor and attorney who have advice for novices.
Sunday, September 28 - Planning Your Wedding
- Learn and ask questions from a variety of wedding planning professionals.
Saturday, October 11 - Dog Training
- See the Clicker Training teach dogs basic commands.
Sunday, November 9 - Home Winterization
- Learn how to winterize your home for cold weather.
Check out our new series of bimonthly movies! Films are shown every 2nd and 4th Friday of the month at 8:00 PM, in our meeting room. Themes for this year are:
- June: Science Fiction
- July: John Hughes films
- August: Cool 80s Action Teens!
- September: Comedy
- October: Horror
- November: Sports
- December: Christmas
The Gates-Chili Chamber of Commerce will be hosting its 18th annual golf tournament. This year proceeds will be split between the Friends of the Gates Public Library and the Friends of the Chili Public Library. This year's tournament will be held at Brook Lea Country Club on Monday, August 4th. Shotgun start at noon, cocktails will be served at a cash bar at 5:00 PM, followed by dinner, golf awards, and raffle at 6:00 PM. WBEE's Steve Hausmann will be hosting the evening's auction.
You can register to golf or join us for the dinner auction at the Gates-Chili Chamber of Commerce website.
Check out these titles that have been recently added to the library's collection.
- The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith
- Top Secret Twenty-One by Janet Evanovich
- Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King
- Hard Choices by Hillary Clinton